A few years ago when I started to paint again, I honestly didn’t know how I was going to start or even have any time for it. I had three young children, I was teaching on the side and I had a husband and house to take care of. It is said that it takes 21 days to develop a new habit but I decided to take it up a notch. So I decided to do my 100 days of painting, even if it meant painting for 5 minutes a day, just so I could get my mind and body used to it. Those 1oo days of painting changed the trajectory of my life. That was almost three years ago. Now I’m doing 100 paintings in 100 days.
My good friend recently asked me, “How do you manage to find time to do what you love and feel a calling to do while being a wife and mother?”. Here are a few tips that worked for me and maybe might help you as well!
- The Passion planner– Another good friend of mine told me about this thing called the Passion Planner, its an amazing organizer that helps with planning out your day, week and month. There is a page devoted to “Your Passion Roadmap” where you can write down everything you want to do and be. And every month you go over what you accomplished and what has worked and what has not worked. There are also great, inspiring quotes. I’m the type that prefers to write things down instead of putting them in my phone so it has worked wonders for me. It’s also very beautiful to look at! www.passionplanner.com
- Start small– Start in small increments. Like I said, I would even paint for 5 to 10 minutes a day and I just worked my way up as my kids got older and I had more time on my hands.
- Take action and tell people– Stop talking so much about it and just do it! Go post it on Facebook or Instagram so you are held liable and you have no way out. Tell your good friends so they cheer you on. I know having a wonderful support system has helped me a lot!
- Buy online– Save time, instead of going shopping for shoes or going to the store, buy online.
- Be creative– I took my art supplies in my car with me and painting in the freakin CAR people!! I didn’t want to waste my time on Facebook while I was waiting for my kids to get out of school so I decided to take my art supplies with me. Figure out when you are wasting your time and put it to good use! There are no excuses to why you can’t to do what you are passionate about if you really really want it.
- Take your kids– If they are old enough of course….I have friends who take their kids with them to their Zumba class. They give them their ipads or phones but it’s only for an hour. Plus your kids see that it’s important for mom to have her own desires and needs. They need to see that, it’s not all about them. I hope this helps you find that precious time to do what your heart really needs. I know as a mother it is necessary to find who we are again. Getting lost in motherhood can be overwhelming and daunting at times. Don’t get me wrong, its also a very beautiful time. It’s just even more beautiful when we have that time to have what moves our spirit and soul!